Table of contents
Part I. The Question of European Modernity
1. Introduction: Modernity – Europe – European Modernity
2. What is Europe?
Part II. Key Features of European Modernity Reconsidered
3. Europe's Hesitation with Democracy
4. The Industrial and Market Revolution in Global Perspective: The Colonial Heritage and the
5. European Religion: The Christians and the Others
6. The European: Atom – Individual – Person – Subject?
PART III Transformations of European Modernity
7. The Axial Age and Modern Europe
8. The Great Transformation: Organized Modernity for Welfare and Warfare, 1870s - 1960s
9. The New Great Transformation: The Global Challenge of Historical injustice and Movements
for Collective Self-determination: 1960s – The present